As part of the Union Plus assistance programs, the Disaster Relief Grant is able to help those who are facing financial hardship due to a natural disaster. The money does not have to be repaid.
To be considered for a Union Plus Disaster Relief Grant, the union member must:
1) Have a AFT+ Credit Card, AFT+ Sr Term Life, or AFT+ Mortgage for at least 12 months with the account or policy in good standing (be up-to-date on payments).
2) Have experienced a significant income or property loss within the past 6 months, as a result of a FEMA declared natural disaster or emergency in parishes designated by FEMA as qualifying for individual assistance.
3) Verify the property or income loss by supplying acceptable documentation * relative to his/her individual circumstances.
*In some cases documentation requirements may be waived.
4) Have not received a disaster relief grant in the past, as these grants are once-per lifetime.
To apply for Union Plus Disaster Relief Grants:
• AFT+ Credit Cardholders should call 1-800-622-2580 to speak directly with a specially trained representative.
• AFT+Mortgage holders or AFT+ Sr. Term Life policy holders should call 1-800-472-2005 to speak to a Union Plus staff member.
The Union Plus Disaster Relief Fund has provided nearly $1 million in assistance to union members facing hardships following Hurricanes Sandy and Katrina, floods, wild fires and other natural disasters.
Click here to see if your area has been declared for Individual Assistance.